Monday, November 4, 2013

Be Brave


Over the past few weeks, the Lord has been telling me something.

First it was in our small group, studying the book Multiply by Francis Chan. Chapter 3: Why do you want to make disciples? ..... .... Taking off the "why", the question becomes "Do you want to make disciples?" And that was a question I really needed to ask myself.
It all comes down to LOVE.

A few days later, we trekked to the next town over to see my brother play with the Passion City Band on a small tour they are conducting. The music and message was powerful, and I found myself asking God this question: What do you want from me?
It all comes down to LOVE.

Meanwhile, lots of ideas were floating around in this scatterbrain of mine. Ways to make money became ways to RAISE money. But for who? There are so many waiting. So many wrenching my heart. Enter Reece's Rainbow Angel Tree Program. I've never done anything like this before, but I pray God is going to use me somehow.

Now its time to be brave.

This Christmas season, our family is making plans to do something a little out if the ordinary.  My heart breaks for the tragedies this world sometimes inflicts upon children. This past year, my heart has been broken for the fatherless of this world. There are estimated to be 153 million orphans world wide, many of whom are barely surviving horrific situations and lack the most basic needs, with love and affection topping that list. Their futures outside the orphanages and institutions are bleak in their own countries.
We have signed up to be an advocate for one of the least of these through Reece’s Rainbow’s Angel Tree Program. Meet Jennie. She is a 10 year old, forgotten little girl in Asia; cast out in a culture that views her as a burden. Jennie has down’s syndrome. While she may be limited in her abilities due to the downs and the years of neglect, her greatest special need is a family.


 photo Jennie.png


My goal as Jennie's angel tree warrior is to not only raise $1000 to help decrease the financial barrier to her future adoption, but to spread awareness for her situation, and the millions more like her. My prayer is that God will use the efforts of all the Angel Tree Warriors to bring forth a families for these children.



So where do you come into this?

 
~Pray. Consider putting Jennie's picture on your fridge so you and your family can remember her throughout the day. Pray for safety, for loving caregivers, and for a family.

~Give. Consider how your family might be able to contribute to her fund. A gift of $35 will be recognized with a picture ornament. No gift is too small. Donate here: http://static.reecesrainbow.org/angeltree2013/  using ctrl-F search Jennie
 
I will also have a simple challenge or two over the next several weeks that I will extend to you. Additionally, I hope to have my own gift with donation to be able to offer you. My kids are working on a project to raise money for Jennie and I am selling stuff on ebay and the like, with the profits going to Jennie.


Pray that God will break your heart for what grieves his.
Ask Jesus what he wants from you. And Be Brave.
 
 photo 5f420281-44c5-4b4d-b5cc-14c5693d0d3b.jpg

No comments: