Sunday, November 10, 2013

You may be thinking,...

"Sure, you go ahead and adopt. That is definitely not on my radar."
  
I know. Me neither. Not on my radar.
  
Until last summer.
  
After asking a friend of a friend for advice about our dogs, I came across Catherine's blog. I was astonished at the pictures of her adorable little Ukrainian girls she had adopted the summer before, and how much they had changed since being home, in a family. I was intrigued. Although she's not currently blogging, her story is certainly worth reading. Start sometime back in early 2011 before she brings the girls home. Read all the way up to the post where the girls who "wont ever be able to do anything" are walking and talking and recognizing the flags of the world.
  
What a difference a family makes.
  
So I'm the kind of person who likes to jump into new things, with both feet. Lance is usually there to pull me back from outer space. This has been no exception. And really I am glad. There is a lot to learn about adoption. Not to say someone with the heart can't jump right in. Just saying.
  
So anyway. There are actually lots of ways to help the plight of the orphan. Like join Angel Tree to advocate for one. Or better yet, donate to Jennie, my Angel!
  
I love the list Linn at A Place Called Simplicity put toget of ideas of tangible ways to help the orphan.  As Linn says:
 
 
True Enough: Not all can adopt.
But ALL can do something.
 
 
Sponsor an Orphan.
 
Support missionaries who have dedicated their lives to caring for the orphan.
 
Write letters or encouragement or send care packages to these missionaries. Pray for them.
 
Foster a child/children.
 
Provide respite care for those who do foster
 
Pray for families who are in the midst of adopting/fostering. Consider donating.
 
Make a meal for a newly adopted family.
 
Pray for reunification of families, but if that's not possible, pray for families for these children.
 
Shop at Orphan Wares where 100% of your purchase feed street orphans.
 
Christmas shop by buying from an adoption fundraiser.
 
Talk about the orphan crisis.  
Talk about the orphan's needs.  
Talk about their lives.
 Talk about what hope does.  
Talk about what a difference a family makes.
 
 
So maybe I can't adopt, but I can do something.

No comments: